For Valentine’s Day, I have put together a list of prereqs for adopting. I have no idea how the holiday and list relate to each other, but since I put them in the same sentence, they now relate. You’re welcome.
- Must love.. children. Or be willing to be responsible for one.
- Must be willing to baby proof (or teenage proof) your house. That new cement coffee table that just came into style? It’s no longer your style.
- Having a savings account would be very beneficial. While adoption fees range depending on how you go about the process, there will no doubt be nesting fees (you know you want that baby hat from Anthropologie) and sympathy binging (you might not be pregnant, but your appetite is).. and that’s all BEFORE you even have the child in the house with you.
- Find and maintain a support group for this new adventure. Whether that be family, or a Facebook group, having someone who can understand your rollercoaster of emotions, or take the baby while you get your yoga on, can only make the process more enjoyable. We will also enjoy the pictures you post of your new baby, so thank you in advance.
- No perfect people allowed. You don’t have to have your life in order to bring a kid into it. Stability is an obvious thing that kids need, but they don’t need parents who never make mistakes and who have everything checked off their to-do list. If you’re waiting until the “right time” and you’ve been waiting for a while, there’s a good chance you’re in the “right” time right now. Use your best judgement, but remember that adopting a kid is not only changing your life-it’s changing theirs.
Please note that while this list was written for human children, it is also applicable to dog adoption. I encourage you to participate in both.
Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope your home is filled with love today and all the other less important days of the year.
I would love to hear “qualifiers” that you’d add to this list! This list was primarily written with humor, so feel free to add humorous suggestions or serious ones 🙂